This recipe is a hangover from the WeightWatchers days of yore. It started life as a vegetable risotto in the WeightWatchers ‘Book of Recipes’ (which is really awesome and has loads of delicious recipes regardless of it being WeightWatchers branded), but of course I pimped it up, tweaked it and added some sausages for good measure. It’s a really easy in-the-week tea that takes about 40 minutes from start to finish. It’s also a good one for the end of the week because you can just adapt your veggies and throw in all your leftovers.
1 onion (chopped)
1 red pepper (chopped)
1 teaspoon of garlic paste
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1 small tin of sweetcorn
400ml of vegetable stock
250g risotto rice
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- In a large pan fry the onion in a little bit of olive oil or coconut oil on a medium to high heat until slightly browned. Add the garlic paste, chilli powder and paprika.
- Chop the sausages up into small chunks and add to the pan. Stir until beginning to brown. At this point I find that the skins start to come away from the sausages and I try to pick them out. It gets harder to pick them out once the liquid goes in.
- Add the red pepper and the drained tin of sweetcorn and then stir until combined and beginning to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock and passata. Stir and then leave until beginning to simmer. Add the rice and turn the temperature down to a low-medium heat (our hob goes from 0-14 and I turn it onto 4 for the next steps).
- The risotto will take approximately 20-25 minutes to cook. Stir at regular intervals to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Just before serving stir through the tomato puree.
You don’t have to make this one with a red pepper and sweetcorn; any veggies will do. I thoroughly recommend you give this one a go, especially if you’ve got leftovers in the fridge and want something quick and easy.
Happy healthy cooking.
Around the Corner Fitness.